Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Coraline

I enjoyed Coraline. It reminded me of several different stories and versions of stories from my childhood. It was dark and mysterious and I especially liked the other worlds’ creatures. I remember being afraid of the “snype” or something like that as a child, it also scurried away before you could see it, and would hurt you. The creature under the cellar door was like that. The other mother and father were somewhat like Tim Burtons, “Nightmare before Christmas” with the cloth doll that was alive and kept falling apart. The other mothers hand was like the creepy hands cut off and trying to strangle you in different movies. All in all I enjoyed the book and the aspect of it being real, or a dream, or really real. I liked the black cat, and yes they are not always bad. My grandparents were a lot like the little old ladies. I enjoyed the other mystery included of finding the children and the winged girl that liked honeysuckle blossoms and her parents in the snow globe. It added more of a real "now" type aspect to the story.
As a child I was pretty brave, but only some things scared me. I was never really afraid of the dark as I can remember but both my sisters were.
The last part where the hand actually got the key is still creepy, because maybe it could escape!

No comments: