Sunday, March 25, 2007

Coraline

I started reading Coraline right before I went to sleep and I have to admit, it really creeped me out! But at the same time, I really couldn't put it down. Her adventure into the world where her other mother and other father lived was fascinating! I don't ever remember being that brave as a little girl, though. I think it's funny that in her life her neighbors are two old wacky ladies, and a crazy old man. It seems like everyone can relate and has met or has had these people as neighbors at one point or another. I don't exactly understand the button eyes on the other mother and the other father. When he was describing them in the book, I immediately thought of a huge insect and that was taking over the world or something. It seemed like a sci-fi movie. I especially liked the effect the black cat had in the story. He was so ambigious, having no name and just appearing once in a while. And it's ironic that the typical superstition of being a black cat wasn't present at all in the story and he was actually a "good guy." I really liked that he Gaiman didn't play up that superstition.

But nevertheless, this has definately been my favorite book so far. Everything from Gaiman's writing style to the little pictures that are in every chapter caught my interest. What did everyone else think of the book? Was anyone else that brave when they were little, or was I just a little coward?

2 comments:

Jolene said...

I like that you brought up the black cat superstition and the fact that in the book the black cat was a "good guy". I didn't even think about that when I read it.

I don't think I would've been that brave as a child. I found it strange that the first time Coraline saw her other parents the huge button eyes didn't bother her. I was creeped out just reading about the other parents. Actually the entire book was pretty creepy. I wonder how the mice got from the "normal" world to the "other" world, since the crazy old man neighbor had them in his home, and they were also in the "other world".

I don't agree with the people that reviewed the book and called it a modern-day Alice in Wonderland. Just because both girls end up in a strange world doesn't put Coraline in the same field as Alice in Wonderland. I did enjoy reading Coraline, but I definitely don't think it will become a classic that almost every child will have read or seen at some point. Also, I would think that for smaller children this book would frighten them; especially if it were made into a movie.

janness said...

Coraline is fascinating. It is hard for me to distinguish whether things are actually happening, or if Coraline is dreaming this whole story through some boredome induced afternoon nap. Her "other" parents are creepy. Especially the description of the other mother's hands, and how they grasp and skuttle across Coraline's shoulder. Are these parents the parents she wishes she had, or the parents she is glad not to have? And, are her parents really missing? Or is it part of her dream to go a find them, and in the meantime find herself, as the cat mentions she should do. The cat is odd, he is rather "catty" which is disagreeable with me, since i have always had loving cats, not sarcastic and independant cats. WHat is with the buttons? Are the rest of the other parent's bodies made of fabric, or are just the eyes inanimate objects? What does that signify? Too many questions and not enough answers, so I guess I should go find out and read the rest of the story : D