Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Blog 5 - The Wizard of Oz

I want to start by saying I'm really glad we're reading this book for class. The Wizard of Oz is my all-time favorite movie, and I've read most of the 13 Wizard of Oz books... Anyways, now that that's off my chest... I enjoy this book immensely every time I read it. The writing is simple and to the point and I think anyone over the age of 7 could read and understand it themselves. I also think this is a great book for parents to read to their children, as all the characters and the Land of Oz allow both children and adults to use their imagination. Even though the characters are not creatures we would come across in "real life", they still have human qualities even if they don't look human, like the Quadlings.

The pictures in the book are fun to look at and I like how the writing goes right through the pictures on some of the pages. I love how everyone in the Emerald City must wear green goggles, and I always wondered if the Emerald City was really that green, or if people just thought it was because of the goggles. Chapter 12 is one of my favorite chapters because I've always liked picturing the little china doll people and wondering what they must look like. Basically I just really like this book. What does everyone else think?

4 comments:

janness said...

I think that everyone else in the group, besides the lead blogger, is just as confused as I am... since class was cancelled on tuesday, I wasnt sure what we were supposed to do, since we didnt discuss the first half of the book in class. Does that mean everything is shifted a day later? should we be finished with the book? The sign on the door said "check webct for assignments", but what are they? then someone else said that the blog wasnt due till thursday? WHATS GOING ON??? im sooo confused. BUT... if someone else will post what is going on, then I can actually leave some thoughtful insight on another comment... THANKS! : D

victoria said...

I was never really a big fan of the Wizard of Oz. As a child I remember watching the movie and it just plain scared me. Or maybe it was more that it made me uncomfortable because of the scary parts. So really I only have seen the movie a couple times. It would be interesting to watch it again now as an adult. The book, however is not scary to me. It's graphic in a non-scary kind of way...if that makes sense. Sure the tin man became the tin man because all his body parts were chopped off, but he's the tin man! That's what he's known as and having that part is like, "Ohh that's why he's covered in tin!" And essentially it's all better because that's the way it is. That may just be my opinion, but I did enjoy the book overall. The pictures coincided with the story and gave more depth to the text. That's basically my take on the book anyways.

Jolene said...

Janness, the blog homepage thing said Blog 5 was due Thursday, March 1st. I posted 2 days early, and I guess everyone else was supposed to post by 5pm on the 28th. That's what he had mentioned in class last week anyways... I was a bit confused as well since class was cancelled on Tues. He mentioned last week that we were supposed to blog about the entire book, but if we only got through the first half then that was ok. But again, since class was cancelled I'm not sure.

janness said...

Although this posting is a little late, for reasons unpreventable, I must say that this version of the wizard of oz, that is, the book version, wasnt as enjoyable as the movie version. I found it to be more gruesome and strange. The theme that it was ok to kill creatures as long as it was to save someone else is crazy. I was never tought any of those ideas as a child and wouldnt teach my children either. The lands being colored is foreign to me as well. However, after discussing it in class, I was intrigued by the idea that it was based on the farmers vs. the industrialists and the standards of silver and gold. It was so interesting that I shared it with several other people that day... and it still has me in awe.